This band… is hilarious. They made a swing song about a fat, child-killing clown (John Wayne Gacy, aka “Pogo”). They did a cover of the titular song from the musical “Grease,” (which I actually just discovered when I went to post this blog and the podcast behind the linked picture that features the entire album). One of the most beautiful, romantic songs they’ve ever done is called “Rapist Eyes.” Their music is hard to classify, but easy to enjoy. I guess I could best describe it as “circus rock,” although that’s more a description of the musical style than the lyrics. The lyrics are spectacularly intelligent and fascinating. So much so, that I decided to do an All-Star Edition of my podcast for Todd Smith, the vocalist of this band and others such as Polkadot Cadaver, The Alter Boys, Knives Out and El-Creepo!.
These guys might be an acquired taste to some, but I acquired it immediately upon hearing the first few measures of Leper Friend from their previous album, Anarchists of Good Taste. That album might end up on this list as well someday. That’s the album that introduced me to these guys, and even though it’s a fantastic album, I chose this one due to my love of each track on this album. Anyway, these guys have broken up and reunited a bunch of times over the past 10 years, but they’re currently together and touring in support of their latest album, Sweet Nothings. If you get the chance, go see them live. They put on a phenomenal live show. If you can spare a fuck or two, give this one a listen and hear for yourself what the fuck I’m talking about.
|0.||“Grease” ((Hidden in the negative time))||2:47|
|1.||“Love Song for a Witch”||4:11|
|4.||“Fetus on the Beat”||3:32|
|5.||“Worm in a Dog’s Heart”||3:46|
|7.||“Pogo the Clown”||2:26|
|9.||“Nude in the Wilderness”||3:31|
|10.||“The Acid Memoirs”||3:13|
|12.||“Magical Band of Fools”||3:29|
|13.||“Scores for Porn”((Hidden Track on some versions))||3:37|
The European release of Committed contained the bonus track “China White”. It is a re-recorded version of a song that originally appeared on Erotic Massage, but with a different outro. This version also contains Grease as track fifteen, instead of in the hidden time.
- The song Déjà Vu is a version of song “En La Noche” from Experiments In Alchemy, but with alternate lyrics.
- The track “Acid Memoirs” heavily references Timothy Leary, mentioning him by name and including the lyrics “Tuning in and dropping out“
- “Pogo the Clown” (which originally appeared on Experiments in Alchemy) is about the infamous serial killer clown, John Wayne Gacy.
- Todd Smith – Vocals
- Greg Combs – Guitar
- Stephen Mears – Bass
- Mike “Ollie” Oliver – Drums (although he didn’t drum on the album)
- John Ensminger – Drums
- Jeff Siegel – Keyboards
- Matt Rippetoe – saxophones, clarinet and flute (+ woodwind arrangements)
- Matt Rippetoe – Horns
- Drew Mazurek – Producer, Engineer, Mixer
- Joe Lambert – Mastering
- Jeff Cohen – Legal Representation
- Paul Campanella – Art Design & Layout
- Angela Boatwright – Photography
- Paul Cicoria – Title Design
- Derek Brewer – Manager
Both Greg Combs and John Ensminger played on the album, but quit the band before it was released.